Sunday, January 31, 2010

What I'm reading (maybe it's me)

So I've finished The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent. The book follows a 10-year-old girl and her family in an early American settlement. Her family is implicated in charges of witchcraft (and spreading the plague) and several members are tried in Salem. The author is a descendant of one of her characters, so clearly she has some attachment to her work.

That being said, she covers three years in about 300 pages, (100 pages per year, roughly) and most of it is about fried beaver tails and skirt hems and sewing lessons. When she wasn't covering the exacting minutiae of life in 1690, she's was alluding to some deep secret of the father of the family relating to his life back in England. The icing of the piece is the bloated, bloated, bloated writing.

Now, maybe it's me, but I shouldn't have to sit through 300 pages of skirt hems and harvest time just to get to a trial that's barely mentioned and then another 7 pages where the narrator discovers the detail of her father's secret and then declines to share it with us. It doesn't seem fair to bore the living shit out of me and then refuse to deliver. I know that there are people who dig this stuff, they prefer to read fictionalized history because they suspect that real histories are too dry. If this is the best example of that genre, I'll make sure to avoid it in the future.

I feel cheated by this. There was no story in this story, and the one secret that I was actually interested in is still left unexplained. This is Kent's first book, and I'm trying to look at it more kindly in that light (forgiving endless unnecessary metaphors and the like), but I don't think I'll ever pick up another book by this author. Now, if you click the link at the top of the post, you'll see that the amazon reviewers seem to vehemently disagree with me. So, maybe it's me.

It's not, this book sucked.

No comments: