Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Bestie and I discuss the pregnancy

I’m pregnant. I’m only a few weeks along, so it’s still a ‘secret’ or something. I’m recording these thoughts so that I can remember them clearly and share them with you later.

When it came to telling my very best friend I was pregnant, I picked the classiest possible avenue: I texted her a picture of my pee stick while she was at Blue Man Group. I've been emailing her every tiny, ridiculous, detail ever since.


From: Dindc
To: WTM
Subject: it's official!!
According to the doctor's office, I’m 4ish weeks. I have to go back next week and get another stabbing. Hooray!!!!!!

From: WTM
To: Dindc
YAY!!!!!!! That is SO Freaking Awesome!!!

From: Dindc
To: WTM
In your absence, I’ve secured a lightly-used car seat, some sort of sleeping pillow, some clothes and other “stuff”, a copy of “What to Expect” and a set of color-coded lists. (My friend Mara is as nutty as I am).

From: WTM
To: Dindc
Be aware that car seats have a safety shelf life. Generally, car seats should only be used for 5 years and make sure it was NEVER in a vehicle that was in any sort of accident.
I will have things for you as well if you want them. Even a crib with a built-in changing table and 3 drawers that converts to a toddler bed – complete with mattress - if you want it. It is about 5 years old and hardly used over the last 3 years. Otherwise it’s yard sale fodder.
I also have an exersaucer, high chair, 785,000 baby toys and books (should you want them) and I happened to find a very small box of clothes that I was saving for … I don’t know. Memories, I guess. I’ve moved past the saving-my-babies-clothes phase of my life.

From: Dindc
To: WTM

Hubs and I need to talk about the short-term redesign that needs to happen, and then we can figure out what size crib we need and such…
What’s an exersaucer?

From: WTM
To: Dindc
It’s a baby containment device with noisy, stimulating “doo-hickeys”
Flat on the bottom or bowl-shaped so baby can rock around and wobble (but not fall) and the seat spins for 360 degrees of entertainment.
Crucial for peeing, cooking and other things you want to do without a 15 pound accident-magnet on your hip.




From: Dindc
To: WTM
Ah! I have been calling that a scoot-around thingy. I have so much to learn.

From: WTM
To: Dindc
BTW – I have a new bookmark folder on my computer called “buy for baby”.


What followed was an assortment of onesie shenanigans. Then:
From: Dindc
To: WTM

The little sesame seed is going to be all decked out (current name: bill the blastula, later Margot the zygote and cleetus the fetus)!
And if they’re right, it’s looking like a Christmas baby.

From: WTM
To: Dindc
Hah!!
Apocalypse baby!!!!

From: Dindc
To: WTM
Well, I had to outdo the Y2K baby, what can I say? (Ed. Note: WTM had a Y2K baby)

From: WTM
To: Dindc
I like Paco the Apocalypse baby. We should call it baby Paco.

From: Dindc
To: WTM
I was just getting used to discussing theo the theoretical baby….

From: WTM
To: Dindc
Well, Theo moved out and Paco moved in. Besides, Paco rhymes with taco. And tacos are more awesome than a no-pants-dance.

From: Dindc
To: WTM
No more coffee for WTM.

From: WTM
To: Dindc
Right!?
It was a 2-cup kinda day thanks to not enough sleep. It does not help that between 3 and 5, my meds peak and get all twitchy.

From: Dindc
To: WTM
I already miss coffee.

From: WTM
To: Dindc
There is nothing wrong with decaf. Or a little coffee. I avoided it 100% with my first and had ½ a cup 2-3 times a week with my second. I craved it when I was pg with my second. Go figure.

From: Dindc
To: WTM
Decaf is a communist lie.
I had a cup of coffee today. But I’m going from 4-6 cups a day to 1 every other day, and it’s been rough.

From: WTM
To: Dindc
You don’t have to go hard-core to one every other day. Try just one a day or try to switch to tea. And scale back from there.
The nice thing – after 1 ½ - 2 years without much caffeine (9 months gestation and then nursing), one cup will make you bounce off the walls. And one beer will get your drunk.

From: Dindc
To: WTM
I guess. I had a cup today, and I had none yesterday. Yesterday was murder.

From: WTM
To: Dindc
Really, a little is okay. Just scale back gradually. It’ll make you feel better, too.

From: Dindc
To: WTM
How much is “1”? I think I have more ounces than most people.

From: WTM
To: Dindc
Stop being so literal... Geeze! One coffee cup. Scale back to one of “your” cups (bowls), then to one of “normal people” coffee cups.
Just go in steps so you’re not insanely grouchy and you don’t get the caffeine withdrawal migraines. Give yourself a week with each step-down.

From: Dindc
To: WTM

YOU bought me the enormous coffee cop, so YOU can’t tell me I’m being literal.
And of course I’m being nutty about this, it’s me. I like precision (and also coffee).

From: WTM
To: Dindc
Okay, okay. I’ll take the blame. But I can still tell you that you are being literal. It’s not a science. It’s not like beer or smoking where STOP YESTERDAY OR ELSE!!!!!!! is on the label. It’s something you want to work away from diligently. Like your anxiety meds. You need to get off those if you can, too. They transfer through your blood to the baby. But only stop with your doctor’s direction.

From: Dindc
To: WTM
I’m not on anxiety meds, I just should be.
Haven’t been on them in years.

From: WTM
To: Dindc
Oooohhhh. I thought you were. Never mind then

From: Dindc
To: WTM
No worries. I’m flattered that you thought that all *this* was medicated. Clearly I’m doing better than I thought.

From: WTM
To: Dindc

Congrats?

From: Dindc
To: WTM
I’ll take it!

From: WTM
To: Dindc
Lol!




No comments: