Friday, June 22, 2012

Week 8-9 thoughts 5/1 through 5/9



I’m pregnant. I’m only a few weeks along, so it’s still a ‘secret’ or something. I’m recording these thoughts so that I can remember them clearly and share them with you later.

I think I figured out the omelet situation. I had one successful flip over! I’ll have to keep practicing, though.

My hormones are terrible. I suspect that nicotine withdrawal is a factor here as well, but let’s just say it’s really easy to lose my temper, and my husband is not-really-but-possibly-and-by-that-I-mean-totally hiding from me. My temper has always been pretty impressive, but I’ve had some epic rants, which lead to tears, which leads to exhaustion.

Everything leads to exhaustion these days. Also everything smells, and I spent most of my day fighting back the urge to vomit.

Things that smell awful (that used to smell great):
• Bacon
• Basil
• Bourbon
• Prosecco
(I know I can’t have the last two, but I don’t know why they have to smell so bad.)

I don’t think I’ve ever slept like this. Not even when I was a baby. It is the purest, most perfect sleep I can conceive. It’s fantastic, truly fantastic. For a part-time insomniac, 10-12 hours of blessed unconsciousness is a wonderful thing. I wish I could have it forever.

This week’s big drama: I went to the bathroom in early May and saw one drop of blood. As any pregnant or previously pregnant person knows, this is either a minor thing or a miscarriage and there is no in-between. (I won’t even tell you what my beloved Internet had to say about the situation. I can’t believe I didn’t have a stroke right there.) I called my doctor’s office, and then I wandered around downtown for 45 minutes (I wasn’t sure if I’d need to go to the hospital, and I figured it would be easier to do from downtown, where there were cabs and subways, and not at my house, where there are trees and beagles, neither of which provide transportation.) Eventually I gave up and went home.

Like any sane person, I immediately went to bed and put my feet up, just in case my rigorous schedule of sitting at a desk all day somehow led to calamity. By the time my doctor called, I’d spend 30 minutes of the least fun I’d ever had on my back. For nothing. (Thank goodness.)

That’s how it works though. Excess worry (you worry about being too worried, in case your stress makes your kid left-handed or something) combined with (for me, at least) the more than occasional moment of complete wonder at the wild and crazy stuff my body is doing. I have to say that getting and being pregnant is the coolest thing that’s ever happened to me. Also I want ham.

Things we need to do before the baby arrives:
1. Renovate the attic. Hubs is working (panicking) diligently on this one.
2. Rearrange the first floor rooms (also, agree on the fate of the first floor rooms. Also, discuss the fate of the first floor rooms.)
3. Buy and install a dishwasher (finally). This one we’ve put off for ages because it seemed not that important and a bit of a hassle, but it definitely needs to happen soon.

Things I need to learn before the baby arrives:
1. The names of all the bands from the 90s that did kid’s albums
2. What this “Disney Vault” business really means
3. Is Blu-ray going to beat DVD? Should I be investing in one of those for kids movies and the like? And how do you find that out?
4. What goes in a diaper bag besides diapers and baby powder? A flask/blackberry/chewable cardboard book? What else?

No comments: