Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Week 7 Football

So I missed my picks last week. (The wedding was worth it, so I’m not complaining.) That’s probably for the best, as we’re entering the wild part of the season, and I can’t really figure out what each team really brings to the table. For instance: Is Denver really that good? I wouldn’t have said so before last weekend. How vulnerable is the Giants D? I know Brees can pack a wollop, but they did next to nothing out there against him. What is this Bengals team? How did the Titans go from zero to suck in one season? And, seriously Eagles? What the fuck?

I think so far this season there are a few reliable teams:

1. My Colts, reliably awesome
2. The Pats, but there’s some defensive issues that will come into play the next time they have a real opponent
3. Atlanta. How about that young QB?
4. The Chargers, reliably mediocre, and soon to be overhyped
5. Brown, reliably sucky
6. The Bills, also sucky
7. Ditto the Rams (see more about the Rams below)
8. Looks like the Bucs are going on this list too. I confess I don’t know much about them (I have an NFC blindside, I confess)
9. Oakland. That QB sucks. I’m sorry; they need to back to the drawing board. Poor guy has all the necessary components, but he can’t put them together to save his damn life.

Before I get to my picks for the coming week, I want to say something about the hubbub around Rush Limbaugh as a possible minority owner for the crappy, crappy, Rams. Let me preface this statement by saying that I find the man’s viewpoints deplorable, and I thought that his statements about McNabb were both appalling, and completely within my expectations for him. All that aside:

1. Journalists have an obligation to thoroughly research their information. WIKIPEDIA doesn’t cut it as a primary source. Of all the hideous things the man has said, why must you go the fiction route, CNN? That reporter should be fired.
2. With all due respect to Jim Irsay (a fine man who represents a fine football team) and Roger Goodell, this is still America. Being a race-baiting bigot doesn’t preclude you from being an entrepreneur. Racism is not illegal. It’s wrong. Those are two different issues with two different consequences. There are certainly players that wouldn’t want to play for Rush. I don’t blame them. That would be a problem. I think he would have been a bit of a liability for the Rams brand, but probably not more so than their record. That would be a problem. However, this could have been a teaching moment for Limbaugh. I don’t see anything so scary about black people (being one of them) that we can’t put Limbaugh in their proximity and push some real change. Certainly not the conservative black millionaires that the NFL kicks out. At this point, we’ve made Limbaugh and underdog, which unfortunately means that his microphone is, for the moment a megaphone. Bad move fellow liberals.

My picks:
Chargers over Chiefs, though I couldn’t tell you why

Packers over Browns

49ers over Texans…in a squeaker

Colts over Rams (Go Horse!)
Steelers over Vikings, because I finally found someone I hate more than Ben Roethlisberger

Pats over Bucs

Jets over Raiders

Panthers over Bills. The Bills give me indigestion

Bears over Bengals in a shocking game

I’m gonna say Falcons over Cowboys… I may regret it but I think so.

Saints annihilate the Dolphins

Giants, playing angry, kill the Cards

If the Eagles don’t beat the ‘skins, then they aren’t the team I thought they were.


OOH! I'm going to visit my team at practice tonight! I can't wait. More about that later.

No comments: