Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The last 8 days



The post is bleak, so here's a puppy picture to brighten it up.

So hubby started chemo last Tuesday. There was a four-day hospital stay, two spinal taps, some (possibly excessive) steroid injections, a wedding, and some serious crabbiness. The first bout was rough... and it's slowly getting rougher. He's already lost 20lbs (He's a big guy, so it's not so bad) and his eyebrows are falling out. This is all going so fast...

Here are some fun (or odd) facts about chemo:
1. your can sweat it out of your pores for up to 48 hours
2. during chemo, you should courtesy flush (it's not just the pores!)
3. when they inject chemo into your spinal fluid, you get nasty migraines that only go away when you lie flat....for 12 hours at a time.
4. If you're still sweating out the chemo, caregivers should wear gloves when changing your bed linens

I remember the part of my life where none of this would have occurred to me.... it was a nice part.

I went to football practice tonight! It was so nice to see the ladies, and one of my fellow blocking backs told me about her kid's chemo (he was 2 at the time, and it was 14 months...) and offered me all the help and support I needed. I watched them run plays for awhile, played with their kids, and all had a good night.

I feel like crap. I feel exhausted. We're so unlucky.

But we're really, really blessed.

2 comments:

epiphanyinbmore said...

Thinking about you guys.

Jen said...

The phrase "God only gives us what we can handle" is pure bullshit & never made me feel any better to hear during my hardest times. What did keep my head up was a very awesome, wise and dear friend that said "the only way out is through." I hold that close to my heart every time I get down and think I just can't take it anymore. You're not walking thru this alone, we're walking behind you for support, in front of you to block the bull, and next to you to push everyone else out of the way.
I love you guys & miss you tons. I wish I was there for you to lean on.