Saturday, October 31, 2009

What i'm reading

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz

Okay, people have been raving about this book for some time. I'm was wary of reading it because of something I like to call the Amelie Effect. When that movie came out, everyone and their mother was over the moon about it. "So clever," "So inventive," "You should see it!" So I did. Snooze.

So I've been wary of this kind of hype ever since. The Pulitzer Prize piqued my interest, so I gave it a go.

The book follows a family of Dominicans living in both Santo Domingo and New York. The book is full of Spanish phrases, science fiction references, and Dominican history. This book is like music. I felt like some of it just went gliding through my brain. I can't remember being so charmed by a book that was so sad. I'm still thinking about what the mongoose means. I highly recommend it.

No comments: